Friday, October 10, 2008

Inside the final week.....

Well my last week of training has gone pretty much to plan. Last weekend I was rostered on day shift with the Fire Dept., but was able to get KK trainer sessions done on both days. Saturday was a short 2 sets of 5 x 30sec on/off @ 380w / 120w, preceded by a "track warm up".

Sunday, after the standard warm up, I rode 2 x 2min @ ~350w (3min R), 2 x 1min @ ~375w (2min R), 2 x 30sec @ ~400w (1min R).......although these 30's got a bit ragged towards the end which surprised me a bit....but like the old saying goes..."all you can do is all you can do".

Trained on the track on Wednesday and Friday. Wednesday I ran the bike in full race set up with front and rear discs and race gearing. Turned out to be a good day.

After warm up, a couple of Flying 250's and a couple of half lap starts, I rode a Standing Start 1km in 1min 16.4sec, and that's about as good as I've ever done. Certainly in training it is. Followed up with 1 x FL1KM in 1min 12.5sec and a controlled FL500m in 36.7sec. Pretty happy with all that.

Friday just 1 x SS1KM (self timed with the last 750m in 55.9sec) and 2 x FL500m in 35.5sec and the second as a "paced" effort in 37.3sec. Legs a bit "heavy" feeling today.

With the World Championships starting on Tuesday, quite a few early arriving International riders were on the track on Friday, some who could do with a lesson or two in track etiquette.

Have just arrived home after 2hrs 45sec on the road with a few steady climbing efforts thrown in. Tomorrow, Sunday, I'll head out to the track after day shift to register and ride a couple of FL500's to top me off for my Wednesday Pursuit qualifier.

Looking at my WKO+ Performance Manager Chart, I'm sitting around CTL of ~95, with TSB of +9 and 803 TSS points for the last 7 days before this mornings ride.

All in all I feel ready for a good ride in my Pursuit qualifier on Tuesday. Smart pacing will, as usual, be critical for a good result.

On Wednesday I have Scratch Race heats and Sunday, Points Race heats. I'd love to make the finals for both but not sure if I have the horsepower to stay close enough in the sprints. Gonna be "fun" trying though :-)

So with three days to go, the plan is for a couple of FL500's on Sunday on the track, easy road ride on Monday and a couple of 1min "openers" on the road on Tuesday before my "test".

I'm rostered on night shift on Tuesday and Wednesday. Not ideal, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a quiet night on Tuesday at least, before my Pursuit the next morning.

Gee, it's kinda come around quite quickly after all these months of planning and preparation.

Stand by for results.

Mike

No comments: